The Operations Science and Technology program is intended to be a yearlong assignment that seeks to provide opportunities for Ph.D level scientists and engineers with tangible work experience in the biotech pharmaceutical industry. During the year, associates in the program will work on meaningful and highly valued projects in a designated area of the function. Mentoring opportunities will be available as well as access to AbbVie’s leadership training and development curriculum. Associates will gain invaluable, on-the-job experience in one of the functions of the Operations S&T organizations in North Chicago, IL. Functions, which support multiple aspects of drug development and commercialization, include:
Project Scope: Exploration of Reactive Extrusion as a Platform for Drug Substance Manufacturing
- Develop chemical reactive extrusion, a continuous, solvent-free technology, as a more efficient and greener platform in drug substance manufacturing.
- Pharmaceutical drug product development; understanding and characterizing dissolution failure modes in drug tablets and defining surrogate formulations using model compounds for systematic studies.
- Biologics development and launch; applying transcriptomics and metabolomics to mammalian cell culture performance; HCP (lipase/esterase) analytical toolbox and or Developing an analytical workflow for raw material screening.
We Offer You:
An opportunity to pioneer the application of reactive extrusion as an emerging sustainable technology in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Recent (within 1 year) graduate of a doctoral program (PhD) or current doctoral students in their last year.
Ph.D. in organic chemistry (methodology or synthesis); experience in continuous processing and/or mechanochemistry preferred.
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering in extrusion or continuous processing, with strong understanding of organic chemistry.
- Experience working in research labs or industrial biotech through internships.
- Possesses a strong academic performance and publication record.
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Strong communications skills and a self-starter.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced