The Director, Research and Development (R&D) Communications is responsible for internal and external strategic communications plans in support of the Chief Operating Officer for R&D – which includes AbbVie’s Clinical Development Operations, Portfolio Program Management, Portfolio Innovation and Aesthetics Research and Development organizations. The Director is the executive communications lead for the Senior Vice President, R&D Chief Operating Officer, and is a member of the SVP’s extended leadership team. This role plays an integral role in communicating AbbVie’s commitment to deliver innovative science-based aesthetic solutions for customers and patients. The Director partners with the senior leaders across R&D to understand their priorities and develops and executes strategic, compelling communications programs that deliver on R&D and enterprise-wide objectives. The Director must be able to think strategically and be a strong counselor to senior scientific leaders.
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Serves as primary communications contact for the Chief Operating Officer (COO), R&D.
- Leads strategic counsel to R&D COO’s broader leadership team and respective functions, including program design and execution.
- Lead content development and executive communication/thought leadership strategy for the R&D COO, with a focus on internal communications and employee engagement.
- Represent Communications on the COO Extended Leadership Team, providing external environment counsel and perspective to business decisions.
- Lead communications strategy and associated change management needs for organizational priorities.
- Identifies and develops potential story ideas to elevate news of interest to the broader employee and external stakeholders, such as media.
- Prepares and briefs leaders on message delivery, media engagement and external speaking opportunities.
- Coordinates closely with communications and HR counterparts to provide strategic counsel on communications initiatives that support broader R&D goals.
- Develops creative, compelling content and presentations for both internal and external audiences that helps tell our R&D narrative both internally and externally.
- Interfaces and aligns with various division and corporate constituencies, including government affairs, investor relations, legal, finance, regulatory, medical, clinical and development operations.
- Working closely with the Aesthetics Corporate Communications team to co-create and align on messaging and program activation across key stakeholders (internal and external).
- Conducts measurement to assess the impact of communications initiatives.
- Scientific and / or executive communications experience preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or life sciences field. PhD preferred.
- Experience working with C-suite and senior level executives is preferred.
- Candidate must have deep understanding of the healthcare environment, R&D drug development process, media landscape and possess strong business acumen.
- Experience effectively managing various stakeholders within R&D and cross-functionally on planning and execution of activities.
- More than 10 years of experience developing, presenting and implementing communications programs in a corporate setting.
- Must have strong executive presence, excellent writing skills and ability to work under tight deadlines with great attention to detail.
- Previous work in the biopharmaceutical R&D or related industry is preferred, but not required.
- Experience and interest in managing teams and multiple direct reports is also desired.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced