AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Data Scientist - Information Research
AbbVie Information Research is seeking a data scientist to design, development and maintain solutions focused on data. As a Data scientist, you will be a core member of a high-performance team of scientists, data engineers and architects focusing on driving technology innovation and continuous improvement.
You will independently identify, develop, and optimize new business technology solutions to address critical business needs through the integration, visualization, and analysis of large and complex data sets. Read and adapt literature and publicly available information to accomplish assignments. Demonstrate proficiency in a broad range of techniques and methods for data and health sciences, including bioinformatics, software development, data warehousing, and/or statistics.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical R&D business and related data. Use this knowledge in the rapid advancement of agile, impactful, and cost-effective solutions.
- Use existing infrastructure for optimal data ingestion, transformation, normalization and knowledge extraction from diverse types such as Competitive Intelligence, Clinical trial Data, in vitro and in vivo pharmacology, and Adverse Event reports.
- QC data at each step of the pipeline by manually reviewing data with SMEs and then developing automated QC scripts.
- Develop and transfer automated procedures for data handling and QC to a data operations team.
- Work with SMEs to understand their data and analysis needs, then developing prototype analysis tools that validate methods and guide further development.
- Understand the broad objectives of the project as well as his/her role in achieving those objectives, and modify approach when required.
- Learn, understand and master new methods and technologies, and act as a resource or mentor for others.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing activities, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Seize opportunities to pursue relevant leads that are in line with the group’s strategy.
- Bachelor’s Degree equivalent education and typically 5 years of experience, Master’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 4 years of experience. Background in life sciences, computer sciences or work experience in the pharmaceutical industry preferred.
- Experience with designing and building ETL pipelines.
- Experience with database & system integration technologies (e.g., Oracle, PostgreSQL, Hive, Informatica, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, etc.)
- Proficient with SQL and two or more data analysis programming languages (e.g., Python, R, S+, etc.) or tools (Pipeline Pilot, Knime, etc.)
- Experience with visual analytics tools preferred (e.g., Spotfire, Qlik, Tableau, etc.)
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation