AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie is looking for an R&D Engineer to join our Combination Product Development, Engineering Testing team in Irvine, CA. This individual will contribute to the development and launch of exciting new drug / device combination products, with a focus on Eye Care and Aesthetics.
The R&D Engineer investigates, identifies, develops, and optimizes new methods and techniques to generate reliable and reproducible data in a timely manner. She/He uses latest in the testing technology to accomplish assignments and demonstrates broad and versatile technical expertise within discipline. They are critical contributor to feasibility, development, and verification stages of product development through creation of verification protocols, records and reports; they support investigations and issue resolutions in collaboration with other engineers.
The position is based in Irvine, CA, US. Travel may be required, as necessary. (up to 10%)
- Independently design and conduct critical experiments that further project goals.
- Draw conclusions from own multistage experiments, note significant deviations, then suggest, design, and pursue relevant experiments.
- Implement and innovate new experimental protocols/techniques.
- Develop and document new test methods
- Perform routine and complex tasks competently under minimal supervision and generate reliable and consistent results. Impact projects mostly through lab-based activities.
- Understand the goal and maintain a high proficiency in his/her projects as well as the overall program.
- Understand relevant engineering literature and apply theoretical framework to solving problems within engineering discipline in a timely manner.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
Education and Experience
- A degree in an engineering field (mechanical, materials, packaging, bioengineering): BS or equivalent education and extensive, typically 5+ years of experience; MS or equivalent education with typically 2+ years of experience.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge to carry out lab testing and other lab-based activities.
- General understanding of the safety requirements for the lab-based activities.
- Basic experience with tooling and fixture design.
- Experience with work in the regulated environment desired, developing tests conforming to standards.
- The understanding of good documentation practice essential.
Essential Skills and Abilities
- V&V testing experience
- Test method development/validation
- Good communication skills, both written and oral. Ability to prepare technical reports.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Solidworks.
- Fixture design – CAD, execution, test.
- A team attitude with positive outlook is a must.
Applicable to California Applicants Only
The below range is the range that we in good faith believe is the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and this range is only applicable for jobs to be performed in California. This range may be modified in the future.
The salary range for this role is posted below
This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive program
This job is eligible to participate in our long-term incentive programs
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced
Minimum Salary $66,500
Maximum Salary $130,000
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation