Allergan Data Labs is on a mission to transform the Allergan Aesthetics beauty business at Abbvie, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. Our iconic brands include Botox, CoolSculpting, Juvéderm and more. The medical aesthetics business is ripe for rapid growth and disruption, and we are looking for an accomplished Principal Software Architect to add to our high performing team to do just that.
Our team has successfully launched a new and innovative technology platform, Allē, which serves millions of consumers, tens of thousands of aesthetics providers and thousands of colleagues throughout the US. Since its launch in November 2020, Allē has delivered curated promotions, personalized experiences and had millions of consumers use it as part of their beauty journey.
We're looking for a Principal Software Architect interested in working within a startup-oriented environment while having the backing of a very large company. If that's you, please read on.
As the Principal Software Architect, you will report to the Executive Director of Engineering and continuously collaborate with key stakeholders across the business to solve the most critical technical problems.
- Produce architecture diagrams, documentation, frameworks and decisions while effectively disseminating these for our engineers to act on.
- Conduct architecture and code reviews with a collaborative spirit, mentoring others to uplevel their skills in this domain.
- Collaborate with Lead/Staff/Principal Engineers, Product and Project Management to take nascent ideas or concepts and turn them into high fidelity technical game plans.
- Educate yourself on our business and our goals so that you can effectively lead the domain and data modeling of our applications and back-end systems.
- Champion code quality, reusability, scalability and security while you make strategic software architecture decisions.
- Mentor software engineers utilizing proven design patterns and your experience building large scale public facing software.
- Care about who you work with and how work is done. We hire carefully and the entire team is given the opportunity to take part in evaluating potential hires.
- Relate to our core values (see below) and would like to contribute to a positive working environment and culture.
Required Experience & Technical Skills
- You’ve been building and scaling large scale systems for 12+ years.
- You have 5+ years of experience in technical leadership or architecture roles, leading the design of complex systems.
- Proven ability to architect software to balance code quality, testability, maintainability and developer experience.
- Experience in building reusable libraries and tooling for engineers.
- Expert in performance tuning and scaling applications at a low level.
- Track record of laying down foundational patterns that inspire teams to adopt and contribute to the architectural vision.
- Skilled in delegation and empowering engineers to continually improve the tech stack.
- Strong familiarity with software design patterns including but not exclusive to Service Oriented Architecture, Microservices and Event Driven Architecture.
- Prolific author of documentation that is clean, clear and easy to maintain.
- You have deep experience with various types of relational and NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL, DynamoDB and Elasticsearch.
- Familiarity with AWS, Serverless, Lambda, Docker, Kubernetes and CI/CD.
- Preferred to have experience scaling systems globally.
- BS in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- Be Humble: You're smart yet always interested in learning from others.
- Work Transparently: You always deal in an honest, direct, and transparent way.
- Take Ownership: You embrace responsibility and find joy in having the answers.
- Learn More: Through blog posts, newsletters, podcasts, video tutorials, and meetups, you regularly self-educate and improve your skill set.
- Show Gratitude: You show appreciation and return kindness to those you work with.
- Competitive salary.
- Competitive annual bonus targets.
- 401k with dollar for dollar match, up to 6% of eligible earnings (base, bonus). Plus additional company contribution.
- RSU grants (Long Term Incentives) for approved roles.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- 17 paid holidays per year, including 3 floating holidays.
- Annual Paid Time Off (PTO), with separate sick days
- 12 weeks paid Parental Leave
- Caregiver Leave
- Adoption and Surrogacy Assistance Plan
- Flexible workplace accommodations.
- Free gym membership for those in our Irvine, CA WeWork office.
- We celebrate our wins with opportunities to attend Lakers, Knicks, Anaheim Ducks, Anaheim Angels and NY Rangers games.
- Opportunities to attend concerts, festivals and other live entertainment events in recognition of delivering great work.
- Attend AWS Re:Invent in person (Las Vegas) or virtually each year.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Attend a tech or marketing conference of your choice each year.
- A MacBook Pro and accompanying hardware to do great work.
- A modern productivity toolset to get work done: Slack, Miro, Loom, Lucid, Google Docs, Atlassian and more.
- Generous discounts on SkinMedica skin care products.
- Discounted aesthetic treatment days multiple times a year.
- $600 worth of Alle benefits each year to use towards aesthetic treatments and products.
- Eligible for donation matching to over 1.5 million nonprofit organizations.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Type: Experienced