AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Envision working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders. Now, place yourself in that mix: leading discussions, asking the right questions, and driving results. AbbVie is always striving to find top leaders/scientists to work at our Irvine, CA site
Principal Biological Research Scientist I - Tissue Materials Science (Plastic Surgery) – Irvine, CA
What your manager wants you to know: “I’m looking for a proactive and independent Principal Scientist that is currently working in the Medical Device industry and looking to take the next step in their career. You should be ready to lead and contribute to a dynamic, innovative, and scientifically oriented organization. Ideally, you’re not afraid to voice any concerns and influence others as the best science is done through active engagement. If you enjoy science, innovation, and solving complex problems and want to be part of a team that collaborates across multiple disciplines and functions to support the Allergan Aesthetics Medical Device franchises, I would be very interested in receiving your resume. We can discuss what you can bring to the team and what you aspire to do in the future.”
Allergan Aesthetics, Device Biology R&D, is seeking a Principal Biological Research Scientist I who will be responsible for leading a technical team including engineers and scientists for development of new technology platforms, new products, and/or scientific preclinical evaluation of device safety and performance in support of our Plastic Surgery/Breast Surgery franchise. This individual will be expected to develop technical strategies, implement and coordinate multiple research programs, and provide oversight on the design and execution of in vitro, in vivo (animal-based testing), and/or ex vivo evaluations of cell/tissue interactions with novel silicone-based medical devices, possibly in conjunction with other biomaterials- or cell/tissue-based products. These studies will utilize a variety of cell & molecular biology and/or material characterization techniques including, but not limited to, animal surgery, live imaging, cell culture, microscopy, PCR, RNA-Seq, ELISA, histology, and flow cytometry evaluation of cells/tissues. Creativity, acute attention to detail, strong communication skills, as well as the ability to successfully operate independently and as part of a team-based environment is crucial.
- Leads cross-functional teams in the areas of new model development, early-stage concept evaluation, new product development, and/or post-market product support efforts to evaluate device efficacy and safety. Represents the department to provide technical leadership for study design, analysis, and reporting of results for these programs by providing their expertise in tissue response to implantable materials. Supports Design Control activities as the non-clinical representative and drives alignment with functional management.
- Serves as a technical advisor and subject matter expert for the franchise/therapeutic area. Works as scientific/technical lead generating new product ideation and development. Additionally, will mentor/train junior staff/scientists
- Responsible for creating detailed scientific and operational strategy including realistic deliverables with timelines. Actively involved in the planning, execution, and management of experimental studies for characterization of the safety and efficacy of novel and existing products. Identifies opportunities for new methods and engages and manages outside contractors to support testing as necessary.
- Actively works in a team environment. Frequent communication is essential and must interface with colleagues in Device Biology Research and Product Development, as well as other departments such as Regulatory Affairs and Medical Affairs.
- Write, review, and issue technical reports, technical memoranda, and other documents for internal and external distribution. Also prepares data summaries from lab studies for dissemination of information in scientific and management presentations. Works closely with Allergan patent counsel in generating IP documentation. Publish technical articles that are consistent with the goals of the organization
- Ph.D. with 6+ years of industry experience or MS degree with 12+ years of industry experience. Degree in a related scientific or engineering discipline (biomedical engineering, immunology, molecular cell biology, materials/polymer science, or similar)
- Prior industry experience in a medical device company or related setting with a proven record of success in conducting R&D projects under Design Control process
- Technical background with biomaterials, implantable devices, cell biology, and immunology or immune/inflammatory response to medical devices strongly desired
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, and handle multiple tasks concurrently with a high degree of efficiency
- Proven track record of designing and executing on scientific hypothesis-driven research and creative problem-solving
- Capable of delivering complex technical information in a clear and easy-to-understand manner both in writing and verbally through presentations, technical reports, manuscripts, and IP submissions
- Hands-on experience with performing small and large animal surgeries and willingness to perform in vivo, ex vivo, and in vitro research activities
- Experience managing outsourced GLP and non-GLP research activities
- Proficiency in mentoring junior staff and serving as a senior technical advisor
- Knowledge of design, fabrication, and characterization of biological and synthetic biomaterials (e.g., biochemical, biophysical, and structural properties) is a plus.
ABBVIE LEADERSHIP SKILLS:
- Excellence Focused
- Open and Authentic
- Ownership Thinker