Your role at AbbVie
Moving forward: Further developing Oncology in The Netherlands and in the Europe region.
AbbVie is deeply committed to transforming the lives of people with cancer around the world.
We believe that addressing the toughest challenges in oncology requires all stakeholders to work together. Together with peers, patient associations, academics, clinical experts and others, we aim to create solutions that work against the processes that cancer cells need to survive. At AbbVie, these solutions start with science and end with a vision of a better future for our patients.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Head of Medical Affairs (Oncology) to be part of our dedicated team. At present there is a strong focus on hematological oncology, with future expansion into solid tumours. This presents the opportunity to work with an innovative pipeline, and the challenge of bringing new medicines, combinations and companion diagnostics to the Dutch market. The opportunities presented by rapid developments in real world evidence provide an ideal opportunity for candidates who are motivated by the challenge of converting data into evidence and ultimately into communicating the medical “ value” proposition of AbbVie’s oncology assets.
Summary and objectives
The Head of Medical Affairs Oncology:
• Reports to the Medical Director, guides and leads the Medical Advisors and Medical Science Liaisons and creates the optimal circumstances to perform and add value to the Brand Teams.
• Plays an active role in coaching and developing their team members, and is responsible for ensuring suitable training options for the Oncology Team.
• Is part of the Medical Affairs Leadership Team (MALT) and a member of the Affiliate Risk Management Team (ARMT)
• Is responsible for the strategic part of functional brand plans development and execution of the plans according to the timelines and goals, with responsibility for management of the budget.
• Has a strategic overview of the developments in the assigned areas and indications, and makes an assessment of the necessary resources and priorities within these areas. In regular meetings with direct reports performance is assessed and guided.
• Is responsible for attracting, retaining and developing the right people.
• The position provides medical / scientific expert advice / guidance to key internal and external stakeholders for assigned products and relevant therapeutic areas.
• Will have a broad experience in medical affairs tactic and programmes, and will act as a coach for their team members. They will have a solid understanding of clinical research and “ novel” approaches to data generation (RWD etc).
• Responsible for the medical functional plan, including objectives, initiatives, and activities within the scope of the Brand Teams according to local resources and regulations.
• Responsible for the management of the medical budgets within agreed timelines and scope.
• Ensure the development and maintenance of in depth knowledge for assigned product(s) / relevant therapeutic area(s) among team members through attendance / participation at key internal meetings/training sessions, relevant congresses, and seminars and by regular self-study of the national/international literature.
• Ensure compliance to corporate requirements and processes on medical / scientific activities for directs reports and give them instruction and training where necessary.
• Supervise the initiation, conduct and analysis of the results of clinical /scientific programs and clinical education activities according to local scientific and strategic interests.
• Responsible for the flawless integration of medical affairs in the brand team meetings for each of the products.
• If necessary, contribute to creating the reimbursement dossier for new products and/or indications.
• Responsible for governance structure in the medical affairs teams, reporting and ensuring effective communication structure and making sure meetings are in place.
• Remain compliant with regulations concerning health and safety legislation and give your staff instruction and training where necessary.
• Create a high performing organization where providing added value for patients and personal developments (of the Medical Advisors and MSLs) are focal points.
AbbVie has been at the top of the global 'Best Workplaces' list for several years in a row. We are proud of this!
Join us at AbbVie, where medicine, aesthetics, and science are powered by some of the brightest minds in the world.
We are a dynamic biopharmaceutical company that offers you the resources you need and a global reach that empowers your innovative mindset. From day one, we’ve known it takes teamwork, passion, and a culture built on diversity and inclusion to develop scientific breakthroughs, innovative pipelines, and treatments that change millions of people’s lives around the world. In short, we know it takes you to make those groundbreaking advancements happen.
Are you looking for a relentless dedication to creating an environment where you will do your best, most innovative work? We offer that. Complex challenges that allow you to improve lives on a global scale? We offer that too. A meaningful career where your continuous learning and development are top priorities? Well, we offer that too.
Welcome to AbbVie. Ready to innovate together?
What we ask
At AbbVie we are passionate about our work. As our professionals are driven in the quest to improve people's health, you will be working in a dynamic and ambitious environment.
• Minimum of 4 years of experience in Oncology in the pharmaceuticals industry, which can be balanced against comparable professional (clinical/ scientific) experience in a relevant therapy area
• Preferably 2+ years of experience in managing a team and can demonstrate working experience as Medical advisor or senior field medical role.
• Professional scientific background, preferably in the assigned therapeutic area
• Experience in clinical & scientific research and/or education programs
• Strong clinical or scientific background, preferably MD or academic medical-scientific degree
• Excellent networking skills: stakeholders relationship, tact and diplomacy
• Basic familiarity with principles of financial management
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong presentation skills (English and Dutch)
• High customer orientation
• Strong commitment to compliance with the relevant rules and procedures, and to scientific quality and integrity
• Well capable of working in a matrix environment
Would you like further information before applying? That is quite understandable. Please send your question(s) to Barbara Razenberg, firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbbVie does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CV’s / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.