The R&D Engineering Team is seeking an energetic, self-motivated, and innovative individual who working with little, or no supervision applies project management experience, engineering/architectural knowledge, and ingenuity to complete medium to large size projects from concept through project closure across disciplines and locations. R&D Engineering supports AbbVie’s investment in R&D facilities and infrastructure making a positive impact on the culture of “World Class” science, agility, and innovation. The successful candidate shall possess the skills to successfully develop a master plan to implement across the Long Range Planning (LRP) cycle, execute project tasks and deliverables, be a collaborative team player and have a strong drive to deliver with excellence to customers.
- Provides leadership and strategic vision for new and renovated office and laboratory spaces across multi sites in the AbbVie R&D network.
- Develops Master Plan to implement “Lab of the Future” allowing flexibility and consistency by implementing the AbbVie branding to support the AbbVie culture and facilitate the attracting and retaining of World Class researchers.
- Develops, plans, coordinates, and directs engineering aspects of projects of major scope and importance. Manages multiple, often concurrent projects and meets expectations. Understands the business needs and has a thorough knowledge of the customer when developing a project scope.
- Incorporates business foresight of emerging technological trends. Leads development of Project Charter and documents the initial requirements that satisfy the stakeholders needs and expectations. Establishes engineering project objectives and technical criteria for evaluating project results and activities of the project team.
- Uses established PM tools and techniques (FEP, Cash Flow Projections, Scope / Schedule Control, etc.) to stay within authorized budget limits and achieve the overall project and organizational objectives. Contributes to the development of project management best practices. Directs and manages Project Execution by performing the work defined in the project plan to achieve project objectives.
- Defines roles and responsibilities. Monitors and controls project work to meet the performance objectives defined in the project plan. Focuses on cost and milestone achievement to optimize resource utilization. Reviews change requests, manages and approves changes to the deliverables, organizational process assets, project documents, and the project plan. Effectively coordinates internal and external engineering resources throughout the entire process of design and construction.
- Mentors others by sharing knowledge and expertise and providing feedback and guidance. Establishes relationships and good communication channels with customers, documents agreements and commitments. Acts as a trusted advisor. Balances bottom line objectives of a project with the long-term interest of customer.
- Accountable for project budgets and delivery of projects to support required R&D facility projects and programs.
- Stays current with the latest regulatory guidance and industry best practices. Responsible for compliance with applicable policies and procedures. Ensures quality and effectiveness of key results of major projects within function through sound design, early risk assessments, and implementation of fall back strategies.
- Develops external engineering resources. Identify needs for contractors. Develops partnership relationships with contractors/vendors. Routinely have direct contacts with outside consultants and technical counterparts from key vendors.
- A Bachelors Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 10+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience. A post-graduate education / degree is desired, and may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- A career history marked by a consistent series of contributions and accomplishments. Proven track record of managing projects to completion, using extensive external resources.
- Demonstrated excellence in breadth and depth of knowledge within project management.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others’ points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one’s own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- A technical background in health care, medical devices, biological, pharmaceutical, or similar industries (preferred).
- Demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal control. Project accounting experience.
- Formal Project Management training (preferred).
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced