The Medical Director or Senior Medical Director for US Medical Affairs Neuroscience initiates medical affairs activities and generation and dissemination of data supporting overall product scientific and business strategy.
Key responsibilities include:
- Participation in design and execution of clinical trial safety, product safety and risk management plans. May also carry responsibility for routine and adhoc safety monitoring reports to regulatory agencies. May review, assess and report applicable Adverse Events (AE’s) and Serious Adverse Events (SAE’s) if assigned to AbbVie conduct on clinical studies.
- Oversees the conduct of clinical trials and is medically and scientifically accountable for resolution of safety (AE’s & SAE’s) issues, interpretation of statistical analyses for clinical significance, PI selection, scientific documents reporting safety monitoring and other scientific reports submitted to the regulatory authorities.
- All clinical research / development activities for products under development, and for post approval commitments such as regulatory agency mandated trials, or those intended to support product registration or to generate data for label inclusion remain the primary responsibility of TA development teams.
- May interact with and coordinates appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders (i.e. commercial, clinical operations, discovery, statistics, regulatory, etc…) as they relate to on-going medical affairs projects. Serves as the scientific team interface for key regulatory discussions.
- Provide scientific/medical education to investigators, clinical monitors, and Global Project Team members related to therapeutic area or disease specific information. Keeps abreast of professional information and technology through conferences and/or medical literature and acts as a therapeutic area resource.
- Responsible for understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and global drug development and accountable for complying with those requirements. May assist in the development of scientifically accurate marketing materials, medical education programs, advisories, and symposia. Assists with the scientific review, development, approval, execution and communication of affiliate/area/global medical affairs sponsored or supported clinical research activities.
- Ensures budgets, timelines, compliance requirements are factored into programs' scientific activities.
- Can address complex problems within discipline/project or across disciplines. Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Works on problems of diverse scope in which analysis and interpretation of data requires evaluation of multiple factors.
- Provides guidance to cross-functional team members to aid in the development of promotional materials. Provides timely and accurate reviews of promotional strategies and tactics in accordance with established policies and practice standards, including regulatory guidelines to meet customer needs.
- Medical Doctorate (M.D.) degree or equivalent (D.O. or non-US equivalent of M.D. meet requirements) with relevant therapeutic specialty in an academic or hospital environment. Completion of residency and/or fellowship is preferred.
- National license to practice medicine with relevant therapeutic specialty in an academic or hospital environment. Academic qualification (Dr med or equal) is strongly preferred. Completion of residency and/or fellowship is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of clinical trial or medical affairs experience in the pharmaceutical industry. 3+ years of experience is preferred.
- Proven leadership skills in a cross-functional global team environment. Ability to interact externally and internally to support global business strategy. Ability to run a clinical study or medical affairs team independently with little supervision.
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials and experience in development strategy and the design of protocols. Expert knowledge in a relevant therapeutic specialty.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Typically does not supervise employees but must be able to influence in a matrixed environment. Works mostly independently with limited guidance.
- Ex-Us: At least one further major international language is preferred.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced