The U.S. healthcare system is complex and evolving. For AbbVie to be FutureFit in this environment, it is vital that our USMAx Strategy Team thoroughly comprehend the current and future state of the evolving U.S. healthcare space and market access channels. In 2021 a thorough internal and external benchmarking project, led by AbbVie’s USMAx Strategy Team, identified a key need to increase strategic input and integration of the U.S. Payer landscape into AbbVie’s early pipeline development. A key recommendation from the benchmarking project was to create a new USMAx Early Pipeline Strategy Team to lead USMAx strategy creation for early pipeline assets with the goal of developing future assets with greater focus on the U.S. Payer environment.
The Associate Director, U.S. MAx Early Pipeline will lead the U.S. market access strategy development for early pipeline priority assets within the broad AbbVie Specialty Care portfolio. The Associate Director U.S. Max Early Pipeline lead for Specialty Care will help integrate the understanding of the complex U.S. health system to m consistently anticipate the needs of U.S. payers into early brand plan development. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of US private and public payer segments to bring the voice of U.S. payers to our early drug development process. The candidate can think strategically and critically and build strong and trusting relationships for cross functional influence and is able to fully and properly represent US Market Access in pipeline governance discussions. The Associate Director will annually align with cross-functional colleagues in ASL, GCD and GMAP organizations to determine U.S. MAx prioritization for the AbbVie Specialty Care portfolio. The role will integrate within the AbbVie Pipeline Commercialization Model and be a core team member of the asset Value and Access Teams (VATs). The Associate Director will also participate as needed within Asset Strategy Team discussions and provide leadership within other deliverable teams as needed. The ideal candidate should have a track record of building deep cross-functional stakeholder alignment, experience in U.S. payer marketing strategy development, and an understanding of the AbbVie Pipeline Commercialization Model.
- Lead U.S. market access strategy creation and integration for assigned assets within the AbbVie Specialty Care portfolio
- Work effectively in the AbbVie pipeline commercialization model (PCM), including core membership in brand strategy (BST) and value and access teams (VAT)
- Navigate the complex development processes used across the organization to coordinate early asset development especially through early Touchpoints of 1-7-5 focused on market access evidence requirements
- Provide U.S. MAx input into Specialty Care business development opportunities
- Establish relationships with key internal stakeholders who drive early pipeline development and planning including Asset Strategy Leads, global commercial leaders (GCD and GMCO), Global Medical Affairs (GMA) and Global Market Access and Pricing (GMAP)
- Provide US MAx input into early pipeline and commercial development processes, including key governance meetings when needed (TASC, PCC, LMG)
- Create compelling U.S. integrated access strategies (IAS) to handoff to U.S. IBTs when formed
- Determine relevant future channels by asset-indication and focus development initiatives to meet the interests of relevant external payer stakeholders
- Contribute critical strategic thinking to inform access and pricing assumptions to create accurate, market driven LRP assumptions optimize U.S. value of Specialty Care pipeline assets
- Partner with MABI and U.S. Pricing team members to identify analogs and establish early economically justifiable prices for pipeline assets
- Provide guidance and strategic input into dosing and delivery system development through deep understanding of private and public payer segments. Identify opportunities and threats that may significantly impact U.S. commercial opportunities for each asset’s lifecycle management
- Other duties include relationship management, opportunity identification, qualification, competitive positioning, and strategy development on any emerging trends (e.g., gene therapy access)
- Works closely with U.S. MAx Strategy Group and U.S. Government Affairs to stay abreast of future market environment scenarios that may impact strategic development for Specialty Care disease areas
- Work closely with internal U.S. MA functional teams including account management, payer marketing, MABI, MA strategy and Population Health teams
- 4-8 years of U.S. market access experience preferred, some global market access experience a plus
- Broad therapeutic area expertise in Specialty Care disease areas preferred, including but not limited to, eyecare, neuroscience, toxins, and virology
- Deep subject matter expertise relevant to commercial and government payers is required, knowledge of ex-U.S. health systems and payer is a plus
- Experience in leading primary and secondary payer research projects to inform payer insights, value drivers and channel strategy/flow of money
- Knowledge of government contracting, acquisition trends and customer buying behaviors. ·
- Experience in Pipeline development and qualification of opportunities ·
- Experience developing business cases, plans and strategies, to include teaming, solutioning, pricing, and past performance.
- Proven and current knowledge of customer environment and acquisition processes.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced