Transformational and Translational Immunology Discovery (TTID) at the AbbVie Cambridge Research Center, MA is seeking a highly motivated and experienced scientist with immunology and in vivo pharmacology experience to join the CRISPR Center of Excellence, working collaboratively with TTID teams to advance the AbbVie immunology pipeline and identification of new targets. The Senior l Scientist will participate in pre-clinical target identification projects with a focus on autoimmune diseases. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the project teams to plan and execute in vivo experiments for target validation and identification. The individual will supervise laboratory staff and manage in vivo pharmacology research, GEM model development through collaborations and an extensive network of CROs.
- Independently performs cellular and molecular biology laboratory procedures, including immune cell culture, cellular functional assays, lentivirus generation, transfection, electroporation, and single cell cloning, nucleic acid and protein extraction, isolation, and purification, DNA sequencing, PCR, qRT-PCR, Western blot
- Will be accountable for the necessary Animal Use Protocols that ensures compliance of team members with all internal policies and regulatory requirements
- Support In vivo CRISPR-based target identification and validation
- Isolate and engineer mouse hematogenic stem cells, human cord blood and pluripotent stem cells
- Perform in vivo Lipid nanoparticle/viral vector-based delivery of proteins/nucleic acids
- Perform in vivo bioluminescence, fluorescence and X-ray imaging
- Develop and implement new animal models to improve the in vivo pharmacology study efficacy
- Effectively interpret results to peers and senior research staff
- Work collaboratively on projects across multiple pipeline programs
- Maintain accurate laboratory records and data.
- Manage a team of 2-3 associates
- Master’s in immunology, oncology or other biological sciences with 8-10+ (MS) or 0-2+ (PhD) years of experience
- Previous industry experience with a record of project leadership
- Experience in the design and execution of in vivo efficacy, pharmacokinetic and preclinical biomarker discovery.
- Hands on experience in in vivo skills (IV, PO dosing, blood/tissue collections, in vivo imaging, bioluminescence, fluorescence and X-ray)
- Experience with generation of bone marrow chimeras, transgene delivery using LNP or viral vectors (e.g., AAV, adenovirus, Lentivirus)
- Solid understanding of genetic tools such as CRISPR and RNAi-based technologies
- Experienced in gene editing, RNAi, CRISPRa/i, or CRISPR KO strategies
- Good communication, both speech and writing, to a variety of audiences
- Ability to initiate and drive internal and external collaborations
- Experience with in vivo functional CRISPR screening is a plus
- Hands-on experience with immunoassays including FACS is preferred
- Expertise with GEMM and humanized models highly desirable.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others and nurtures innovation to make possibilities real
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Type: Experienced