AbbVie is a global organization with US R&D sites at the Boston area (Cambridge/Worcester, MA), Chicago (North Chicago, IL), and the San Francisco Bay Area (South San Francisco, CA). AbbVie employs more than 1,000 scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots across these sites. They combine their expertise in various therapeutic areas as well as both traditional and novel drug modalities including bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), covalent-inhibitor technologies, and cell-based therapies to discover and develop novel treatments to improve the lives of patients.
The Quantitative Translational Pharmacology (QTP) group within Drug Metabolism, Pharmacokinetics & Bioanalysis (DMPK-BA) is searching for an experienced PKPD modeler to establish innovative mechanistic and translational PK/PD modeling approaches to support both small and large molecule projects, informing decision-making and enabling translation of assets from discovery into early clinical development. The therapeutic area focus of this role will be Immunology but it will also include the opportunity to work in other therapeutic areas across the AbbVie portfolio.
The successful candidate will be located in the greater Boston, MA area with access to the Cambridge or Worcester, MA sites but will be expected to spend a proportion of their time working remotely in alignment with business objectives and candidate preferences.
- Develop and implement innovative, quantitative analyses and strategies for translational modeling across discovery and clinical development projects
- Liaise with Discovery biology, pharmacology, toxicology, biomarker development, DMPK-BA and clinical scientists to generate data and knowledge supporting the generation and implementation of translational models
- Establish and maintain effective collaborations with key peer and team stakeholders within DMPK-BA, Discovery and clinical to facilitate knowledge and data integration for target prioritization, biomarker selection, candidate selection, guidance in (pre)clinical study design, FIH dose prediction and calculation of therapeutic index
- Effectively communicate on strategies related to DMPK and translational modeling and simulation
- Contribute to the preparation and presentation of both internal documentation and external regulatory documents
- Maintain awareness of emerging literature and science in computational approaches and applications
The position can be filled either at the Senior Scientist II or Principal Scientist I/II level. The level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
AbbVie values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
- Doctorate (Ph.D.) in quantitative pharmaceutical sciences; applied mathematics; (bio-)physics, chemical, mechanical, or biomedical engineering or a related field, with at least 2 years of pharmaceutical industry or related work experience. Alternatively, Bachelor’s (B.S.) with at least 10 years or Master’s (M.S.) with at least 8 years of related work experience. Depending on level of experience, this position can be filled as Senior Scientist II or Principal Scientist I/II.
- Hands-on experience with relevant modeling software and programming languages, e.g. MATLAB/Simbiology, R, Python, WinNonlin/Phoenix is required
- Basic understanding of small or large molecule drug modalities and relevant analytical methods for measuring drug and biomarker levels in preclinical and clinical study samples is required
- Passion for data analysis, solving technical problems and applying new technologies to further scientific goals and answer key scientific questions enabling informed decision-making
- Publication record relating to PK/PD and/or systems modeling is desired
- Prior experience as a DMPK project team representative and work in an experimental invitro or in vivo biology field is desired
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Highly-motivated, self-driven and results-oriented person with excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of both leading and being lead
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to influence, negotiate and communicate with both internal and external stakeholders, and to communicate effectively to audiences of diverse backgrounds
- High degree of flexibility in adapting to different projects and personalities as well as excellent networking and relationship-building skills (both internal and external)
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly when necessary
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced