Allergan Aesthetics, Device Biology R&D, is seeking a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Biological Research Scientist. The successful candidate will lead and support early discovery programs in the Regenerative Medicine franchise. This individual will be expected to lead, design, and develop new prototypes for implantable surgical meshes. Additional responsibilities include executing studies to evaluate and characterize biological responses to implantable materials, including extracellular matrices and other biomaterials. Knowledge of biopolymers, ECM biology & development, in vitro and in vivo testing methods, and/or mechanical testing (tensile, compression, etc.) is preferred. Prior experiences with biomaterials fabrication & characterization, ECM biology & development, tissue engineering & regeneration are highly desired. The person must be able to successfully perform hands-on laboratory work with minimal supervision and complete deliverables in a timely manner. He/she/they must also stay current with literature/scientific advances in the relevant therapeutic area(s), demonstrate scientific leadership skills and interact in a cross-functional team environment.
- Manages, designs and executes studies to support early discovery research, including developing new prototypes, assays and managing outside contractors to support testing as appropriate.
- Analyzes, summarizes and presents data to internal and external stakeholders; write, review, and issue technical reports, technical memoranda, and other documents for internal and external distribution.
- Interface and work with colleagues from functional and cross functional groups.
- Organizes, schedules, and participates in project team meetings to define and schedule project activities and review completed tasks. Communicate project status to supervisor, project team leader, other research managers, and R&D committees as appropriate.
- Works with patent counsel to general documentation to protect IP.
- Train and mentor research associates when appropriate.
- Stay current of latest developments in relevant therapeutic areas and understand competitive landscape through comprehensive reading and analysis of literature, discussion with KOLs and attendance at appropriate scientific meetings.
- Ph.D. in biological engineering, biomedical engineering, materials/polymer science, cell & molecular biology or equivalent with 0-2+ years of postdoctoral or industry experience or Master’s degree and 5+ years of academic or industry laboratory experience.
- Background and/or experience in tissue engineering, biopolymers or extracellular matrix preferred.
- Characterization and knowledge of biological and synthetic biomaterials is a plus.
- Willing to perform hands on laboratory work including in vivo, ex vivo, and in vitro experiments.
- Capable of designing and executing on scientific hypothesis-driven research and creative problem-solving.
- Possess strong scientific skills with ability to collaborate with project team members.
- Able to work independently, set priorities, and handle multiple tasks efficiently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Committed to the values of integrity, accountability, transparency, scientific rigor and drive.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced