AbbVie’s Immunology R&D organization is expanding its early discovery team at the Immune Profiling Center in Boston. We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist with excellent attention to detail to join the Translational and Transformational Immunology Discovery team. This scientist will specifically support target identification and validation efforts supporting a multi-omic center and collaborating with different teams across R&D and other departments at AbbVie. Our team is looking for a candidate with existing academic or industry experience in multicolor flow cytometry who is willing to learn and develop new techniques and learn deep analysis using different approaches. Candidates will be expected to have experience isolating and characterizing human and mouse immune cells.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop tailored flow cytometry and spectral cytometry panels to address specific biological questions within target identification and validation
- Incorporate relevant external sources (literature, patents, conferences) and state-of-the art technologies and theories to solve scientific questions within target identification and validation
- Design and streamline methods to stain and run different type of samples (PBMCs, tissue, cultured cells, …)
- Support sorting needs of cells from different type of samples (PBMCs, tissue, cultured cells, …)
- Author and review technical reports, protocols, manuscripts, and other key documents
- Interpret findings and effectively present scientific data, concepts, and recommendations to various internal audiences. May attend or present at external conferences.
- Collaborate with a team of computational biologist and data scientist to design and generate high-data projects
- Work in AbbVie’s matrix environment and support activities for different groups across the organization in addition to the role in the Immune Profiling Center, which may include lead designing and alignment meetings
- Bachelor of Science with typically 5-7 years or Master of Science degree with typically 2-5 years of laboratory experience in Immunology, Biology, Molecular Biology, or a related discipline.
- Hands-on experience isolating human blood cells, cell culture and multi-color flow cytometry.
- Hands-on experience with antibody staining optimization and spectral flow cytometry troubleshooting
- Prior experience with isolation, phenotypical, and functional characterization of human blood cells and primary immune cell populations.
- Knowledge of or willing to learn assay automation using TECAN or Biomek platforms
- Experience with cytokine quantification, and mixed cell assay systems
- Excellent organization and planning skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment independently or as part of a team, strong motivation with a dedicated work ethic.
- Ability to communicate effectively to colleagues and staff across multi-disciplinary areas and with internal and external collaborators
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others and nurtures innovation to make possibilities real.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced