AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Pipeline, Medical Science Liaison
Summary of Job Description:
This field-based Pipeline MSL position serves to enhance AbbVie’s scientific credibility with clinical investigators as well as key scientific institutions and collaborative study groups within the oncology/haematology therapy area (TA). The role will support scientific dialogue and collaborations in the areas of research, medical and scientific exchange and through the facilitation of requests for scientific and medical information. Aligned to AbbVie’s One R&D culture. it will also establish close partnerships with local Clinical Operations colleagues during the planning, initiation, oversight and follow-up of clinical study-related activities. The Pipeline MSL will also interface with other key members of the AbbVie ANZ medical department, including Medical Managers, Pharmacovigilence, Medical Information, Therapeutic Area Specialists and functions such as Market Access, Regulatory Affairs, Early Asset Teams and others as appropriate. The role will also work closely, collaboratively and cross-functionally with other in-field medical affairs members while retaining functional independence. The Pipeline MSL will also be required to maintain a high level of scientific knowledge to ensure credible dissemination of scientific information and informed scientific dialogue with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure a strong medical and scientific presence for AbbVie in investigational sites and key scientific centers by facilitation of clinical research and in particular of interventional phase 1-3 trials with AbbVie drugs, while supporting requests for medical and scientific information on products or areas of therapeutic interest to AbbVie
- Establish and maintain a close working relationship with Site Management & Monitoring staff and partner in facilitating the initiation and conduct of prioritised AbbVie-led clinical trials.
- Provide scientific and technical leadership to ensure professional and credible relationships with investigators.
- Consult with physicians, pharmacists and other medical professionals to refer appropriate patients to Clinical Trial sites and review clinical practice topics as requested by the investigator or referring sites.
- Act as the point of contact with thought leaders to facilitate investigator-initiated study (IIS) ideas with AbbVie pipeline assets and requests for support to the local and global medical teams as appropriate.
- Deliver credible presentations on scientific matters in the disease area of responsibility and about AbbVie’s pipeline to investigators in AbbVie-sponsored interventional research.
- Participate in the selection process to identify appropriately qualified external experts the Company would wish to engage in collaborative efforts – such as potential research collaborations, or educational and advisory roles (Advisory Boards, Congresses, Symposia, etc.); while ensuring a high level of scientific or educational integrity in these collaborative efforts.
- Identify opportunities for R&D collaborations with key institutions and thought leaders and liaise with the Search& Evaluation team and Discovery or Clinical Development teams to facilitate further assessment.
- Facilitate medical and scientific field intelligence – for example, maintain a list of investigators/potential investigators within a given TA, understand competitive research activities in active or planned study sites, generate insights from investigators on challenges and opportunities for AbbVie-sponsored clinical trials – and communicate, where appropriate, within the Company.
- Attend relevant scientific meetings and Conferences.
- Upon request, assist physicians with requests for access to AbbVie medicines on a named patient or compassionate use basis, subject to all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that all activities and interactions are conducted with due regard to all applicable local, global and national laws, regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, Company policies and accepted standards of best practice.
- To provide insights on the current clinical practice, facilitate identification of top tier external experts and provide scientific input into the future clinical development program for AbbVie’s pipeline assets.
- Advanced degree (e.g. PharmD, MD, MBBS, PhD) in a relevant scientific discipline is strongly preferred but candidates with an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and demonstrated experience will be considered.
- Experience in developing and maintaining expert knowledge for the assigned therapeutic area, and in medical research in general.
- Professional experience as MSL or CRA or in a similar field-based R&D role for at least two years.
- Solid knowledge of the pharmaceutical environment and the role of Medical Affairs to advance the medical and scientific objectives of a pharmaceutical company.
- Experience as an active contributor to cross-functional teams and/or working in matrix organisations.
Essential Skills & Abilities:
- Keen interest in developing and maintaining expert knowledge for assigned therapeutic area/product and in medical research in general.
- Excellent written and spoken communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in written and oral English in order to facilitate communications between the affiliate medical department, Regional and International Medical Affairs and other AbbVie functional staff.
- High customer orientation.
- Strong commitment to compliance with the relevant rules and procedures, and to scientific quality and integrity
- Collaborative, team-oriented approach, able to develop and support relationships across an organisation as well as with key external stakeholders and the healthcare community at large.
- Demonstrated expertise in the scientific methods applied to clinical research and current legislative/regulatory controls applicable to this research.
- Ability to comprehensively learn about new subject areas and environments.
- Sound judgment, strong planning and organisational skills, and the ability to get things done.
- Ability to work independently, with limited guidance/oversight.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation