AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Abbvie seeks a Litigation Paralegal to join the Legal Division's Commercial Litigation group. This position reports to the Commercial Litigation Division Counsel.
- Independently manage all facets of discovery for routine matters and matters with increasing complexity in compliance with Federal and State Rules and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, performing all tasks within strict deadlines, having substantial impact to the Company if deadlines are not met
- Initial fact investigation for pending and potential litigation
- Preparation, distribution and management of Legal Holds, including responses and questionnaires
- Identify relevant document and data sources, coordinate the collection of and analyze Company documents and data for discovery and other requests
- Identify documents for privilege logs
- Assist in deposition preparation of Company witnesses
- Assist counsel with trial preparation
- Respond to Company subpoenas, wage loss verification and requests for information with minimal supervision
- Negotiation of the scope of the subpoena
- Identification, collection and review of documents for production in compliance with Federal and State Rules
- Prepare and send legal hold notices and provide day-to-day supervision of legal hold process.
- Manage outside law firm paralegals and vendors, including determination and implementation of cost containment
- Assist in managing eDiscovery vendor budget for assigned matters
- Assist in handling, preparation and processing of general administrative matters, including bates labeling, copying, redacting and filing; responsible for updating various contact lists and verifying/updating data in various databases
- Create and provide monthly, periodic and special request report.
- Position requires discretion, independent judgment and critical thinking skills for identifying, reviewing, collecting and producing relevant documents and data in response to discovery requests and subpoenas, identifying witnesses, and managing casework of routine and increasing complexity
- Strong communication skills required to effectively gather relevant information from business group, interact and negotiate with others, both inside and outside the Company
- Strong writing and analytical skills required to independently review, draft and prepare documents
- Strong organizational, project management and multitasking skills to manage multiple matters, set own work priorities and meet required work deadlines
- Identify and resolve routine issues in area of responsibility
- Occasionally perform independent analysis of unique problems of increasing complexity and diversity, and propose solutions to attorney or supervisor
- Significant contact with outside law firms, clients, employees and company executives
- Familiar with research tools: Lexis and Pacer
- Flexibility to take on special projects and/or additional responsibilities as needed
- Minimum 2 years-experience within a law firm or Legal Department of a corporation, preferably in a litigation setting.
- Bachelor’s Degree and ABA approved Paralegal Certificate, preferred
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Type: Experienced