Joining AbbVie means you will be part of a team of outstanding professionals dedicated to making a remarkable impact on patients' lives. At AbbVie, we conduct ground-breaking science on a global scale every day. AbbVie Canada is one of the Best Workplaces in Canada whereby 92% of our employees are proud to say they work for AbbVie.
When choosing your career path, choose to be remarkable.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio.
We have a new opportunity for a Medical Science Liaison (MSL) to join our Medical Affairs team. In this exciting career opportunity, you will develop and nurture relationships, as well as advance our scientific credibility with established and emerging external experts (EEs). Our MSLs respond to requests by providing key scientific/medical information to external experts and internal stakeholders. This role will be based in Ontario and will cover stakeholders from half of Ontario plus Saskatchewan, and Manitoba (or half of Ontario plus Atlantic provinces).
- Develop/maintain key scientific knowledge that enables credible dissemination of information to external experts (EEs) and other healthcare professionals (HCPs), to help the development of professional working relationships.
- Participate and follow-up on assigned investigator-initiated studies (IIS), clinical studies and medical projects initiated within the relevant therapeutic area (TA).
- Provide scientific support and help maintain relationships with external experts/academic centres.
- Deliver credible presentations on scientific matters to HCPs, individually or in groups.
- Participate in the selection process to identify qualified HCPs AbbVie would wish to engage in collaborative efforts – such as research, or lecture/meeting support (advisory boards, congresses, symposiums, etc.); and to ensure a high level of scientific or educational integrity in these collaborative efforts.
- Attend relevant scientific meetings/conferences and develop summaries of key data presented.
- Doctorate, PharmD or MD is preferred. MSc degree in scientific related discipline and demonstrated medical affairs experience will also be considered.
- Relevant business experience with solid knowledge of the biotech/pharmaceutical industry.
- Previous experience as an MSL preferred.
- Relevant Hematology-Oncology background is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in a customer-facing role in the healthcare industry.
- Experience in the presentation and/or interpretation of scientific or clinical research publications.
- Knowledge of scientific methods applied to clinical research and the current legislative/regulatory controls.
- Keen interest in developing and maintaining expert knowledge for assigned therapeutic area/product and medical research in general.
Essential Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced French (for Quebec-based roles) and English language proficiency (oral and written).
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.)
- Must be at ease with technology (the use of various tools/systems to perform day-to-day tasks).
- Travel required about 50% of the time.
- Valid driver’s license and passport.
Key in-Field Team (IFT) Competencies:
- Ability to understand the unmet needs of key stakeholders, make decisions that have an impact and execute the integration and assimilation of that information into the IFTs’ engagement approach.
- Ability to coordinate scientific/medical engagement efforts across stakeholders within a single account, in order to develop interaction plans that are inline with the Scientific Interaction Plan (SIP) to achieve medical objectives.
- In-depth understanding and execution of meaningful strategies and data-based business decisions to exceed IFT business goals.
- Effectively communicate, collaborate and incorporate the views of other in-field team members to optimize business objectives.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply.
Covid vaccination new hires amendments:
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment for this position, with possible accommodation for validated exemptions, within the limits of applicable legislation. AbbVie employees are also required to comply with any COVID-19 related external requirements, including any testing requirements, applicable to their work activities outside AbbVie premises (for example, travelling and visiting stakeholders and customers).
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced