The Associate Scientific Director, Oncology Pipeline MSLs implements strategy and direction for Global Medical Affairs to support enterprise critical clinical studies across Oncology programs. Works closely with Areas/Affiliates, Medical Excellence teams and Oncology therapeutic area leads/heads and indication teams to develop and maximize strategies for Field Medical teams to advance AbbVie’s Oncology pipeline. Serves as a key member of cross-functional pipeline strategic team and aligns medical affairs initiatives to meet AbbVie’s research, scientific and business objectives.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Ensure development of medical engagement tactical plans that address enterprise critical study challenges in collaboration with GMA TA teams to drive AbbVie’s Oncology pipeline.
- Work with GMA TA teams and across oncology pipeline programs to analyze field engagement data and field insights. Identify gaps, opportunities, and mitigation strategies.
- Establish cross-functional ways of working with pipeline partners in Clinical Development and Operations. Serve as an active member of the One R&D community. Facilitate and implement process improvements for clinical trial collaboration and in-field ways of working.
- Partner with GMA TA teams to prepare regular presentations to Executive Leadership on program status, challenges, and mitigations strategies.
- Keeps abreast of the evolving oncology landscape through conferences and/or medical literature.
- Support management of the pipeline MSL team through close collaboration with GMA TA teams, Medical Field Excellence team as well as Area and Affiliate teams.
- Contribute to the development and optimization of the pipeline MSL model through defining a global agile team structure, areas of focus, KPIs, best practice sharing and geographical deployment of resources to maximize enterprise critical studies and clinical trial sites coverage
- Contribute to the development of Oncology pipeline MSL strategic plan and implementation; identifies, proposes solutions and best practices, and ensures appropriate communication within respective teams.
- Accountable for escalating issues, as appropriate. Identify process gaps and provide feedback to ensure continuous improvement; must be able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must also be able to work independently.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and adapt to rapidly changing business needs, including handling other tasks & projects as assigned.
- Can address complex problems within discipline or across several projects. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Must be able to influence in a matrixed environment.
- Advanced degree (e.g. PhD, PharmD) in a scientific or medical discipline is required
- Typically 5 years of experience in oncology pharmaceutical industry or equivalent; substantial understanding of relevant therapeutic area required.
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials and experience in the design of protocols preferred.
- Global Medical Affairs experience preferred, with experience in developing external expert engagement strategies with R&D.
- Demonstrated understanding of legal and regulatory environment of pharmaceutical industry, specifically related to Field Medical roles.
- Ability to think strategically to develop quality initiatives in support of business needs
- Demonstrated ability to lead without direct authority, ability to excel in a matrixed environment and independently drive to deliver on business objectives.
- Consistently communicates to an executive level in an accurate, concise, and inclusive manner.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support a global scientific and business strategy
- Works with some supervision and guidance. Exercises judgment within well-defined practices and policies.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to perform and bring out the best in others on a cross-functional global team
- Must exhibit strategic thought and leadership with the ability to think and lead at the big picture level.
- Ability to translate strategic objectives into specific initiatives and manage successful execution
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Ability to work on complex problems in which analysis of situation or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various complex factors.
- Proven track record of working in a matrix environment, strong teamwork skills, timely decision making and results oriented.
- Creative, innovative thinker with strong strategic mindset.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced